The Miller’s Arms in Canterbury sits, as everyone knows, on the corner of St Radigund’s Street and Mill Lane for nearly 200 years.
For the last nine years it has been run by Scotsman Paul Henderson, a period in which it has experienced many changes.
He has overseen the refurbishment of the front of the pub, which with its big windows makes it one of the most appealing places in the city for a drink or a meal.
- Too many Canterbury decisions made by planners from outside city
- COUNTY NEWS: Man arrested for attempted murder after woman hit by car
The back has also been opened up to contain a dining area and a garden.
But Paul still has more plans for the famous watering hole, notably increasing the amount of seating at the front on Mill Lane.
The area is bathed in sunlight for large parts of the day and in the summer lies directly in view of the setting sun.
Paul is planning to extend the front to have eight tables with a waiting service for customers.
He said: “Improving the pub has been a long term project.
“The front of the pub overlooking the gardens is a fantastic spot.
“Like everything around here, it takes a long time, but we really are getting there.”
The Miller’s Arms has been a pub since 1826, and it’s sometimes wrongly thought that its name relates to Miller in one of Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales.
In fact, it relates to all the milling work which historically took place on the banks of the River Stour.
Johnny Homer in his book Canterbury pubs writes: “Today the Miller’s Arms is a swish and recently updated Shepherd Neame hostelry offering accommodation and a good variety of food and drink.
“On quiet summer evenings you can hear the River Stour flow gently by.”