Six people have been arrested after four warrants were executed in a countywide operation targeting fly-tipping.
The Canterbury Journal joined police and other agencies for a raid at Shatterling near Wingham on Wednesday.
It led to the arrests of three men and the seizure of evidence related to allegations of the illegal disposing of waste. Thirty cannabis plants were also seized.
- Do you have vital information which could help police?
- Senior council figures divided by Pride flag row
Raids simultaneously took place in Ramsgate, Ash and Maidstone. Six vehicles were also seized and 19 people were reported to court for various offences.
Canterbury district commander Ch Insp Mark Weller oversaw the action at Shatterling.
He said: “This is a large scale issue which blights communities across the county.
“It is important we work send a message to those illegally disposing of waste their behaviour will not be tolerated.
“This is not just about someone littering, this is organised criminality that has a negative impact on communities and we are keen to work with local people to continue to stamp out this crime.
“We would ask anyone having work done at their home to make sure that they check the person taking away their waste is licensed to do so.
Police worked with the Kent Resource Partnership, local authorities, Kent County Council and the National Farmers Union in the operation.
Kent Police and Crime Commissioner Matthew Scott also attended the raid.
He said: “I’ve made it clear that crime is important no matter where it takes place and, thanks to my investment in up to 200 new police officers this year, Kent Police’s specialist Rural Policing Team will soon be able to do even more to bring rural criminals to justice.”
The arrests included:
- A 39-year-old man arrested from a property in Shatterling, Canterbury in connection with cultivating cannabis.
- A 60-year-old man was arrested from a property in Shatterling on suspicion of fly tipping and cultivating cannabis.
- A 29-year-old man was arrested following the warrant in Shatterling. It is suspected he has breached a community order.
- A 53-year-old man arrested in connection with fly tipping from a house in Leigh Road, Ramsgate.
- A 41-year-old man from Ash in Kent was arrested on suspicion of fly tipping.
- A 30 year old man from Sittingbourne was arrested for failing to surrender in connection to fly tipping offences.