Advertisements
A roundabout will take traffic off the Sturry Road

Work on new Sturry Link Road due to start next year

Work on the Sturry Link Road is due to start in the spring of next year, county council papers show.

The road linking the A28 Sturry Road to the A291 Herne Bay Road is being created to divert vehicles away from the centre of Sturry and the railway crossing.

Announced last year, the £30 million scheme is destined to be complete by autumn 2020.

Yesterday (Tuesday), the county council’s environment and transport cabinet committee were presented with documents showing detailed plans of the scheme and the timescales involved in completing it.

The road will go over the River Stour and the railway line between Canterbury and Sturry.

How a section of the Sturry Link Road will look

It is designed to alleviate congestion at the busy Sturry Crossing which is just yards from the junction of the A291 and A28 where Sturry Hill and Island Road meet.

The link road will also accommodate the additional traffic generated by the near 1,000 homes to be built in Sturry and Broad Oak.

Kent County Council said: “The A28 through Sturry gets congested because the level crossing interrupts traffic.

“The new road would allow traffic to avoid the level crossing and improve access to Sturry station.

“The road will also support the planned housing developments in Sturry and Broad Oak, where up to 1,000 houses are proposed.”

A new junction would take traffic on and off the A28 between the water works and the Mercedes dealership and over the Stour and railway line.

From there it would enter the new housing estate being built to the west of Sturry and then head east where it would meet the A291.

The £29.6m needed for the project has been secured by KCC with money from the Local Growth Fund and developer contributions.

A planning application for the road is due to be submitted this summer.

Advertisements

One response to “Work on new Sturry Link Road due to start next year”

  1. David Wadmore says:

    According to the KCC consultation brochure, only £5.9m of the projected £30m cost will be government funded. Work (by Kent Highways) will start once 650 houses have been occupied. This is the wrong way round. The developers should pay their £24m for the road in advance so that is built before all the construction traffic blights this already congested area. And what happens if the developers stop at 600 homes. Does the road get built? We need assurance that this scheme won’t be abandoned at the last minute. No houses without the road.

Leave a Reply

Get news by email