Steinbeck & Shaw to reopen as Tokyo Tea Rooms

Canterbury nightclub Steinbeck and Shaw will reopen next month as Tokyo Tea Rooms, a boutique late night cocktail bar.

The venue has previously been occupied by national chains, but has now been acquired by the owners of Club Chemistry, Distinctive Bars.

A company spokesperson said “Tokyo Tea Rooms will live and serve by the Japanese ’Ichi-go Ichi-e’ which loosely translates as ’one time, one meeting’ – no two events or encounters will ever be exactly the same. This concept is embodied in traditional Japanese tea ceremonies.

“By embracing this approach, Tokyo Tea Rooms will take guests on a new and stimulating journey every time they visit, via unique design, evolving cocktail menus and exciting immersive live performances.

“With a fresh and elegant aesthetic infused with some brand-new surprises, Tokyo Tea Rooms will provide a unique ‘first time’ experience, every time.”

Tokyo Tea Rooms lunches on Saturday 18th August at 8pm with an exclusive opening ceremony.

31 responses to “Steinbeck & Shaw to reopen as Tokyo Tea Rooms”

1. Samzine says:

That’s the name of an already established Canterbury based band. How original!

2. Bigmutti says:

Ridiculous. Didnt they bother to Google the name first? Tokyo Tea Room the Band is the first result that comes up.

3. plomari says:

Tokyo Tea Room is already the name of an established band in Canterbury! not OK

4. CanterburyMan1976 says:

Tokyo Tea Rooms? Isn’t that a song by the Canterbury based band Trash Mammoth?

5. George Dawson says:

How can you use that name when the band have been established for a long time ?? That’s off key

6. Moreland34 says:

They shouldn’t be allowed to use that name! Tokyo Tea Room are a local band in my area!

7. Mark says:

This is unacceptable and totally disrespectful! What a bunch of shameless, unoriginal, name stealing lowlifes.

8. Kelly says:

Simply stupid not to do a name check first. Either that or a clear attempt to attatch their name to something that already has a following

9. Emily says:

So excited for the new club to open!! It is exactly what Canterbury nightlife was missing. I love the name and the theme this place is going for. Cannot wait until opening night!

10. Niki says:

I agree Emily the name is great but already taken! Shameless of the club to attached themselves to something already established and with a good following and fan base, poor show Steinbeck and Shaw

11. Elise says:

Tokyo! I absolutely love the name and I can’t wait for this to open! Definitely going to be very popular! Me and my friends will 100% be there on opening night. Excited to what they’ve done inside!

12. Jodie says:

So excited for this brand new venue and I especially love the Tokyo vibe, it is very unique for a club! Opening night cannot come sooner!

13. Kiyah says:

Just throwing it out there…. Caribbean coffee lounge is still available

14. Erin says:

Tokyo Tea Room is already an established band originating from the local scene in Canterbury. Bit careless and unimaginative to take what already exists as something great

15. Tom says:

How can you offer a “unique experience” when your club is within spitting distance of the poster you clearly took this name from? The live music scene in Canterbury has established itself and you’re trying to ride its coattails

16. Edie says:

Lov the new name and can’t wait for opening night to see the new look and have a few cocktails😜

17. Richard Marshall says:

I’m sure this is the name of a band that I’ve seen in Canterbury? Is this intellectual copyright?

18. Daniella says:

what a load of cockwomble. get a new name.

19. Alex Rogue says:

Down with this sort of thing

20. Ro says:

The name is great! Pity is been poached from a local band! How unoriginal.

21. Louis says:

Can’t believe they have the audacity to poach an iconic name from a great local band.

22. What are these arseholes playing at? I prefer the original tokyo tea rooms, you know the original band, not the wanky cafe!

23. Rosie says:

What a great name! I’ve liked it since the band ‘Tokyo Tea Room’ started in Canterbury years ago!

24. Sam says:

This is really awful. The band Tokyo Tea Room are very established within Canterbury and this is clearly a name grab because it’s a bit catchy.

You guys should be ashamed. Even if, and it’s a big bloody “if”, you came up with it independently, learn the area you’re operating in!

I’m saying booooo. Not boourns.

25. Reade Mullen says:

Not only did they take the name, but one of the bands eps is called Another place, another time. Surely that can’t be a coincidence

26. DJ Lefty says:

Should’ve called the place something original, like ‘Rolling Stones’

27. Davey Jones says:

Will the band Tokyo Tea Room be the paid in-house band seeing as the name was stolen? And wasn’t the word ‘boutique’ like cool a decade ago?

28. Orlando Bloom says:

I was born in Canterbury, and I always come back. I quite frankly think it’s a disgrace. I saw the young band Tokyo Tea Room, a year ago. I thought they were utterly spectacular and would never have thought a troublesome club on the Dover Road would ever steal their name. I happen to have visited Tokyo during filiming, and the atmosphere just can’t be repeated in a bad nightclub in Canterbury.

29. Dean Gaffneys Agent says:

I heard Dean Gaffneys going to be the special guest on opening night ! Apparently Beppe might show up as well !

30. Nom de Plume says:

How can such a venture survive in a city with a 50% population of struggling students, in a time of austerity? One wonder who its patrons could possibly be…